Thank You – By Dido

sábado, 20 de junho de 2009

Dido’s lyrics

Hello people!

Let’s study some music’s lyric.

I selected a beautiful one, that I like very much. If it’s possible, take a look in my "miniguide" of learning with music.

 

 

Thank You

Dido

 

My tea's gone cold,  ----> present perfect (recent past action)
I'm wondering why  *1
I got out of bed at all  *2 
The morning rain clouds up my window  *3
And I can't see at all  *2 
And even if I could it'd all be gray,  *4
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad
It's not so bad

I drank too much last night, got bills to pay
My head just feels in pain  *5
I missed the bus and there'll be hell today
I'm late for work again
And even if I'm there,  *4
they'll all imply that I might not last the day  *6
And then you call me and it's not so bad
It's not so bad and

I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life
Oh just to be with you is having the best day of my life

Push the door, I'm home at last  *7 
And I'm soaking through and through  *8
Then you handed me a towel and all I see is you  *9
And even if my house falls down now I wouldn't have a clue  *10
Because you're near me and

I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life
Oh just to be with you is having the best day of my life


VOCABULARY:

(Obs.: ‘sth’ means ‘something’ and ‘sb’ means ‘somebody’.  *Existem palavras que possuem vários significados {a mesma palavra pode ser um verbo, substantivo, adjetivo, advérbio, etc}, então coloquei no vocabulário apenas aqueles que correspondem ao contexto da música.)

*1: Wonder: verb to be very surprised by sth.
*2: At all: adverb a. in the slightest degree: I wasn’t surprised at all.
b. for any reason: Why bother at all?
c. in any way: No offense at all.
*3: Cloud: verb if glass, water, etc. ‘clouds’, or ‘if sth clouds it’, it becomes less transparent: Her eyes clouded with tears. ; Steam had clouded the mirror.
*4: Even: used to emphasize sth unexpected or surprising; despite the fact or belief that; no matter weather.
*6: Pain: noun the feeling that you have in your body when you have been hurt or when you are ill/sick.
*7: At last: after a lengthy (long) pause or delay. [at long last]: after much troublesome or frustrating delay.
*8: Soak: verb to be thoroghly (totally) wet; informal: to drink immoderately, esp. alcoholic beverages: They were soaking at the bar.
*9: Hand: verb to deliver or pass with or as if with the hand.
*10: Clue: noun [not have a clue] (informal): to know nothing about sth or about how to do sth.

 

Technorati Marcas: ,,

0 comentários: